Premarital Counseling in Palo Alto
Tying the knot soon? Congratulations, you’re about to embark upon on a life-alternating journey with your best friend.
Along with all the romance, joy and excitement, take some time to mull over important aspects of marriage.
Getting married is a big decision. Whether you’ve taking the plunge for the first or last time, couples need to sit down, understand and equip themselves with the tools needed to create a loving, healthy and secure marital relationship. This is where premarital counseling comes into play.
What is premarital counseling?
Premarital counseling is a type of specialized therapy for couples planning of tying the knot. The purpose of premarital counseling is to help you and your partner understand each other better and uncover and address any potential areas of conflict in your relationship.
Is premarital counseling important?
The word ‘happily-ever-after’ is commonly associated with marriage. Sadly, this is isn’t true for every couple. Divorce is a bitter reality for many people.
Marriage isn’t just rainbows and butterflies; it’s a beautiful, long-term commitment that thrives on love, trust, respect and communication.
Similar to several other chapters in life, marriage will throw at you and your partner. With proper preparation, you and your partner will be able to tackle some of the most common issues married couples face. These include but are not limited to:
- Each partner’s life goals: These include both personal and professional goals.
- Career: How do you and your partner plan to achieve your career goals? Making adjustments may be required at some stage of marriage. Are you both prepared for it? Finances: Have you and your partner discussed money? Who will take care of the bills? Will you have separate or joint accounts or both? How will you save money for your future?
- Family and parenting: Do you plan to have kids immediately? If yes, how many kids do you want? How will you shape your kids’ values? How do you plan to support your kids’ education and other expenses? Being a parent is an enormous responsible. Before taking on arguably the most challenging role of their lives, couples should have a healthy discuss about their parenting dreams, goals, expectations or reservations.
- In-laws: Often, a married couple may find it difficult to maintain healthy boundaries with the in-laws. How will you and your soon-to-be partner resolve issues with your in-laws?
- Cross-cultural relationship issues: A cross cultural couple may face issues due to difference in their core beliefs and cultures. During pre-marital counseling, cross-cultural couples can identify and overcome these issues together.
- Living arrangements: Where do you plan to live after getting married?
- Religious beliefs
Need premarital counseling? Look no further
A successful marriage requires work and isn’t based on luck. By signing up for premarital counseling, couples can understand what it takes to live happily ever after.
At the end of the day, a marital journey is riddled with twists and turns. The way you and your partner cope with these ups and downs will define your married life.
As everyone has different expectations about marriage, it’s important to choose a therapist who understands your goals, doubts and expectations.
Of course, it’s just equally important to work with someone who specializes in couples and marriage counseling.
If you and your partner need premarital counseling, Azizeh E. Rezaiyan at Silicon Valley Marriage Counseling is the right person for the job.
Azizeh E. Rezaiyan is a qualified and licensed therapist who has over two decades of experience in premarital counseling. She offers individual and group counseling in a safe, comfortable environment.
After carefully listening to each client, Azizeh E. Rezaiyan provides effective, practical strategies to help them cope with their premarital issues. Most importantly, client privacy and confidentiality is extremely important to her.